General Paediatrician: Alice Springs Hospital
Paediatric Registrar: Alice Springs
Alice Springs Hospital is the only major hospital covering a catchment area of ~1,000,000 square km, which is literally “Bigger than Texas”. We care for some of the nation’s sickest and most socially disadvantaged people. Issues of Indigenous child health and welfare have been much publicised and politicised in recent years so further elaboration is unnecessary. The central desert region of Australia is unique. The lifestyle is laid back with an emphasis on outdoor activities and the arts. It is a friendly, welcoming place especially suited to anyone with a sense of adventure and those interested in “fourth world” health issues, not generally seen by most doctors in Australia.
We have 5 consultant positions with a strong commitment to teaching. Services include a 40 bed dedicated paediatric ward, an 8 bed SCN with ventilation and NO facilities and access to ICU beds as required. We also have a dedicated paediatric Out Patient area. There is opportunity for Outreach work .We have 6 Registrar positions the majority of which are filled by Advanced Trainees.
We offer trainees:
- Exposure to Aboriginal Health
- a spectrum of diseases you have probably only read about
- severity of diseases unlikely to be encountered in major cities.
You will have opportunities to:
- better understand the nexus between social environment and disease
- visit remote communities and retrieve patients with the RFDS
- complete community and rural training requirements for general paediatrics
- complete projects
- accept increasing responsibility for patient management.
- good consultant cover
- commitment to teaching and supervision
- a good roster.
Preference will be given to candidates seeking 12 month appointments.
Working in paediatrics at Alice Springs is challenging. At times the work here is hard and confronting. The flip side is that it offers opportunities to make a difference to patients’ lives which you probably don’t get in many places.
Starting date and length of contract flexible. Terms negotiable. Locums welcome.
If you have read this far, please contact: Rose Fahy, Paediatrician via email at email@example.com or on Ph: +61 8 8951 7777 or on MOB: 0419 813 257.
Share on Facebook